4-H has over 85 different projects for youth from kindergarten to seniors in high school to choose from! Youth also have the opportunity to showcase their talents, skills, and knowledge in their projects in 4-H contests!
Objectives of Leon County 4-H Contests:
• To provide 4-H members with an opportunity to develop and practice citizenship and leadership
skills in a different environment.
• To provide recognition for project, activity, and scholarship winners of 4-H members and adult
• To provide opportunities for 4-H members and adults to network through recreational and social
experiences and advance their knowledge of 4-H.
There are different Age Divisions in the 4-H organization:
- K-2nd grade= Clover Kids (this program will be implemented in Leon County 4-H in 2019-2020)
- 3rd-5th grade= Junior
- 6th-8th grade= Intermediate
- 9th-12th grade= Senior
There are different levels of 4-H contests:
- County Level (Leon County)– Age levels: Junior, inter. & seniors may compete in any county level contest. Clover kids may have the opportunity to “participate” in the contest as well.
- Any active 4-H member in Leon County 4-H may compete!
- Depending on the contest age levels: juniors, intermediates, and seniors may have the opportunity to qualify and advance to the District level! (Clover kids cannot advance past the county level)
- Questions about County level contests may be directed to your club manager and/or the extension office!
- District Level (District 8 4-H)– Age levels: Junior, Intermediate, and seniors that qualify may participate at the District level contest!
- Depending on the contest, seniors that qualify will have the opportunity to advance to the state level if it is a qualifying contest!
- Questions about District level contest may be directed to the Leon County Extension office.
- Info about D8 4-H Contests: https://agrilife.org/d84h/events-and-activities/
- State Level (Texas 4-H Roundup)– Held in June at Texas A&M University!
- Qualifying events: Senior level only and must have placed high enough at the District contest to qualify to compete at state!
- Invitational events: Intermediate and Senior level- A few contests are considered invitational, meaning contestants did not have to qualify at district to compete. Please see list below of invitational events!
- Info on Texas 4-H Roundup: https://texas4-h.tamu.edu/events/roundup/
- National Level- There are various national level contests! Depends on the contest at state roundup on which national contest contestants may qualify to advance too.